thiefofcamorr

Thief of Camorr

Katharine likes to think she’s a Sky Pirate and that takes up most of her time. When she isn’t treasure hunting, she’s writing or playing video games and wishing Doctor Who and Farscape were real.

Winter Be My Shield
Jo Spurrier
Neverwhere
Neil Gaiman
Splashdance Silver (Mocklore Chronicles)
Tansy Rayner Roberts
The Lost World
Arthur Conan Doyle

On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King Well now. I have never read any of Stephen King's work, and after reading this... well, now I don't really want to.He came across as a pretentious sod and honestly, I'm put off by his tone and how he ... well, he really sounded condescending in many parts of this. I hesitate at saying such things over an author who everyone else seems to love, but... well, I'm just saying 'What I Learned from this book.'It has some good parts, yes, but the main thing I agreed with him on is the one thing almost everyone else does not agree with, and that is that plotting makes writing dull and boring. Like The King, I write to find out what happens next and to tell myself the story. ...Whereas few others agree - they simply can't write without plotting it out first. Does that make this a moot point? Who knows.I've heard most of his tips before, or I've worked them out for myself already, and I've only been writing since '99. Write first with the door closed, edit with the door open... ...Wow, really? How clever.I did like how he makes the point that 'If you don't have the time to read, then you don't have the time or tools to write.' because I feel that is true, however he only sounded scathing and bitchy saying it like that. It's not always true, either. I have a friend who can write quite well and he's read only five books this year - all written by Stephenie Meyer. So there you go.Another thing I guess I agree with is that one must write a few thousand a day, if they want to get better at their craft and keep their idea fresh and thick - but that's another thing people often disagree with me about - so again, moot point?I wanted to like this, I really did. Having never read any of his work before I wanted to discover a whole new author to collect madly and devour, and now I'm only glad that I missed out on the hype. He really got on my nerves more than once, but I accept that is my problem - after all, he has a load more fans than I do. It has it's good points. I'm glad I read it, but I won't be rushing out to get anything else by him just yet. ...Maybe for a very long, very boring plane ride...